<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d22619568\x26blogName\x3dICT+in+action\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://tales-from-tighnabruaich.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_GB\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://tales-from-tighnabruaich.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d3256462085123763469', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

ICT in action

What is happening in a school near you.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

And so to ICT


As a teacher of P1/2/3 and a member of Masterclass I have been given a loan of an interactive whiteboard and some Activote pods. They are from Promethean and I have now been using the board for just over a week.
Initially I realised I would have to reorganise my classroom and find a permanent place for the projector and laptop to sit. In another life I would like to be an interior designer-so the day after Andrew Brown- our ICT co-ordinator had delivered the board, we set about reorganising the classroom. Job done and by 9:30 the board was set up, calibrated and ready to revolutionise the classroom!
Now the kids in my class really enjoyed it when we used the digital projector for various lessons and are a very ICT orientated bunch- I do try to integrate ICT across the curriculum when possible and appropriate. Day 1 was spent just trying out some of the built in software and making use of Kidspiration for story writing- as the week has progressed the potential use of the board just keeps on growing as has its interactivity.
I am as they say just a few pages ahead of the kids- I take my laptop home and explore the built in software. Each day I am therefore able to say-"Look what I found last night!" I am greeted in the playground of a morning by comments such as 'I wonder how the whiteboard is today?" "Who will calibrate it today Mrs Macdonald?" My colleagues keep popping in for a look when they can and my headteacher knows what she would like to get next financial session.
I have included the 'IWB' as a structured play activity allowing 2 children at a time the chance to play with the board. They take seriously the responsibility and work well to keep out of each others shadow and navigate their way around the board.
One of the most successful activities so far was a maths activity. We found some spinners-each child took it in turns to spin the spinners to create a 3 number sum. The child in charge wrote it on a small whiteboard while the others wrote in their jotters. P2 did an addition- P3 a times then added the 3rd number. The children were completetly engaged in the activity-mistakes were discussed. A simple activity but the use of the board made such a difference to the time they were able to concentrate for- they were adamant everyone should have a turn- all 13 involved in this maths session.

5 Comments:

  • At 2/19/2006 7:28 pm, Blogger ab said…

    Brilliant to hear what you have been up to so far Morag! It's great to hear that the kids are so enthusiastic. Look forward to the next thrilling instalment!

     
  • At 2/19/2006 7:59 pm, Blogger Morag Macdonald said…

    So am I- just off to play with more flipcharts and see what's in them

     
  • At 2/19/2006 8:28 pm, Blogger marlyn moffat said…

    I've made a few activities for our stages and will send them if you are interested...just mental arithmetic...and are suitable for the pods too.
    They might be able to be skyped.

     
  • At 2/19/2006 9:30 pm, Blogger Morag Macdonald said…

    Thanks Marlyn
    Skype me soon. O ourse you have 3 day break ahead whereas I shall be back at the Ineractive whiteboard face on Tuesday

     
  • At 2/19/2006 9:31 pm, Blogger Morag Macdonald said…

    I see that some of my keys must be getting sticky

     

Post a Comment

<< Home